Our projects are the reason for being a Soroptimist. It reflects the Vision and the Mission of Soroptimist International. You can see for yourself how our Club gets involved with various projects by looking at our “Projects” page. You can also look at our Federation and Regional projects page for details of other projects supported by Soroptimists in the South West and the Channel Islands.
Selling christmas decorations for the Purple Community Fund, a charity set up by Jane Walker, MBE to help build businesses for women in the Philippines . We collect ring pulls from cans and they are sent to the women who turn them into beautiful items which helps pay for their children to be fed and educated.
There were only a few decorations left when this photo was taken as they were so popular.
A few of the charities that we support are:
Soroptimist International is a
vibrant, dynamic organisation for today’s professional and business women. We are committed to a world where women and girls together achieve their individual and collective potential, realise aspirations and have an equal voice in creating strong and peaceful communities worldwide.
Soroptimist International is a vibrant, dynamic organisation for today’s professional and business women. We are committed to a world where women and girls together achieve their individual and collective potential, realise aspirations and have an equal voice in creating strong and peaceful communities worldwide.
Soroptimists inspire action and create opportunities to transform the lives of women and girls through a global network of members and international partnerships.
The SI Programme Focus is a set of goals and objectives which relates directly to the Programme Areas. This provides the structure, or “focus” of all our project work. Our current long term project has just been launched and is a topic selected by SI members world-wide: Soroptimists for Education and Leadership. The objectives of this 4 year programme include:
1. Increasing access to formal and non-formal learning opportunities.
2. Improving access to economic empowerment and sustainable opportunities for the employment of women.
3. Eliminating violence against women and girls and ensuring women’s participation in conflict resolution.
4. Ensuring women and girls have food security and access to the highest attainable standard of health care.
5. Addressing the specific needs of women and girls by improving environmental sustainability, and mitigating effects of climate change and disasters.
For more details see the SI International website.
- Eliminate poverty and gender discrimination through ensuring women’s full social and economic rights (ESD)
- End human trafficking and all forms of violence against women and girls (HSW)
- Ensure access to health care for women and girls (Health)
- Support programmes and policies that would eliminate HIV/AIDS, malaria, TB and other major diseases (Health)
- Improve access to clean water, sanitation and essential food resources (ENV)
- Mitigate the effects of climate change and integrate sustainability into personal choices and governmental policies and programmes (ENV)
- Meet the needs of women and girls during and after armed conflicts, man-made and natural disasters (IGU)
- Promote peaceful processes for conflict resolution through encouragement of intercultural and inter-racial tolerance and condemnation of all forms of genocide and terrorism (IGU)
- Ensure equal access to education and training throughout their lifespan (ED)
- Enable women’s advancement in management, politics and decision making (ESD)
To help us to focus further on achieving our objectives, Programme Action is divided into following six Programme Areas:
- Economic and Social Development (ESD)
- Education (ED)
- Environment (ENV)
- Human Rights and the Status of Women (HSW)
- International Goodwill and Understanding (IGU)